Element Copernicium - Cn
Comprehensive data on the chemical element Copernicium is provided on this page; including scores of properties, element names in many languages, most known nuclides of Copernicium. Common chemical compounds are also provided for many elements. In addition technical terms are linked to their definitions and the menu contains links to related articles that are a great aid in one's studies.
Overview of Copernicium
Copernicium's Name in Other Languages
- Original Latin Name: Ununbium
Atomic Structure of Copernicium
Chemical Properties of Copernicium
- No Chemical properties information is currently available.
Physical Properties of Copernicium
Regulatory / Health
Who / Where / When / How
- Discoverer: Sigurd Hofmann, et al.
- Discovery Location: Gesellschaft für Schwerionenforschung (GSI) in Darmstadt, Germany
- Discovery Year: 1996
- Name Origin:
- Named in honor of Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543), a Polish scientist and astronomer. Copernicus is most famous for discovering that the Earth circles the Sun. Element 112 was named July 13, 2009
- Abundance of Copernicium:
- Earth's Crust/p.p.m.: N/A
- Seawater/p.p.m.: N/A
- Atmosphere/p.p.m.: N/A
- Sun (Relative to H=1E12): N/A
- Uses of Copernicium:
- Additional Notes:
- Sigurd Hofmann and his group at the Gesellschaft für Schwerionenforschung (GSI) in Darmstadt, Germany produced element 112 (Cn277) for the first time in fusion reactions of Zn70 projectiles with Pb208 targets. The formed compound nucleus 278112 deexcites by emitting a neutron and results in the isotope Cn277. Sigurd Hofmann and his group observed one nucleus of element 112 in a three week experiment which ran 24 hours per day. Cn277 is radioactive and decays after a few 100 µs by the emission of an alpha particle into the daughter nucleus Ds273. Source: http://www.gsi.de/forschung/kp/kp2/ship/el112_e.html
A list of reference sources used to compile the data provided on our periodic table of elements can be found on the main periodic table page.
Citing this page
If you need to cite this page, you can copy this text:
Kenneth Barbalace. Periodic Table of Elements - Copernicium - Cn. EnvironmentalChemistry.com. 1995 - 2018. Accessed on-line: 12/10/2018
Linking to this page
If you would like to link to this page from your website, blog, etc., copy and paste this link code (in red) and modify it to suit your needs:
<a href="https://EnvironmentalChemistry.com/yogi/periodic/Cn.html">echo Periodic Table of Elements: Copernicium - Cn (EnvironmentalChemistry.com)</a>- Comprehensive information for the element Copernicium - Cn is provided by this page including scores of properties, element names in many languages, most known nuclides and technical terms are linked to their definitions.
NOTICE: While linking to articles is encouraged, OUR ARTICLES MAY NOT BE COPIED TO OR REPUBLISHED ON ANOTHER WEBSITE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
PLEASE, if you like an article we published simply link to it on our website do not republish it.